September 16th, Session 3, Hand 13

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

September 16th, Session 3, Hand 13

Postby Gustavo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 pm

All tables had Forehand as declarer with the following hand:

J:C-S
C:10-K
S:10-K-8
H:A-9
D:K
Skat: CA, HQ

John made a Grand Schneider, whereas Jessica and I went for Spades. I couldn't see how to guarantee 61 points going for a Grand if Jacks didn't split. If Jacks don't split, the first two deals would guarantee 4 points only. I would make 28 in Clubs, 11 in Hearts, and Spades would depend on the distribution of Diamonds: if one player is long in Diamonds, I risk loosing the game on three tricks, even if I bury the S10 in the Skat.

The other option would be start by leading Clubs from the top. If C10 gets trumped, defender leads Diamonds, which I trump with one Jack. Now what? If I lead SK to made the Ace fall, an opponent in Hinterhand with long Diamonds and the remaining Jack could still draw more than 61 points, even if giving the D10 early to make my last Jack fall.

How did you do it, John?
Gustavo

Re: September 16th, Session 3, Hand 13

Postby John McLeod » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:57 am

You mean hand 14.
I put the S10 and DK in the skat - 14 points. Then my plan was:
Lead both black jacks to draw the red ones - 8 points, total 22 so far
Lead my three top clubs - another 28 points provided that they don't split 4-0, total 50
Lead my ace of hearts for 11 points, making 61.

As it happened, when I led the first jack both red jacks dropped so I continued differently to make schneider.
John McLeod

Re: September 16th, Session 3, Hand 13

Postby John McLeod » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:56 pm

If you wanted to know how I made Schneider on the actual deal, so far as I remember I led a small heart to trick 2 - safe now that I have the only remaining jack - and both the 10 and the king appeared. The opponents then led the ace of spades collecting two small cards on it. I won the rest of the tricks and they had 25 points.
John McLeod

Return to Skat strategy and tactics