September 16th, Session 4, Hand 25

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

September 16th, Session 4, Hand 25

Postby Gustavo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm

All tables were played by Hinterhand as declarer. HH as folllows:

J:C
C: A-10-Q-9-8-7
S:8
H:A
D:A
Skat: H10, HQ

Both Nick and Mike Tobias played Grand and made it, but I couldn't find a way to make this a Grand in Hinterhand and ended up playing clubs.
Burying the S8 is a no-brainer, and what else? HQ, or perhaps C10?
The problem is if FH leads Spades on the first trick. Playing your only Jack would be suicidal if one player has long Spades, as he would keep leading Spades and getting smeared by his partner. Should one pass all Spades leads until the last one, trump, and then go Clubs from the top down?

Thanks!
Gustavo

Re: September 16th, Session 4, Hand 25

Postby John McLeod » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 pm

It's a risky grand but it's not at all obvious to me that you should discard the s8. I would suggest discarding club A-10 and hoping that the hearts are 2-2, which in fact they are. Then you have 21 in the skat, 25 for the hearts, 11 for the diamond ace and you just need to make sure to take at least 4 points on the jack of clubs trick. If they lead spades at the start you will have to wait until the second round to trump and hope than ho hearts are discarded, which they won't be unless one opponent has at least 5 spades.
I would be interested to know what Nick and Mike actually did.
John McLeod

Postby Mike Tobias » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Gustavo and Nick both won the bidding at 23 (presumably against FH), allowing them to play Clubs. I would definitely have played Clubs for 23, or Clubs Hand for 36, but was pushed up to 40 (probably by Patrick in MH). I agonised for a long time about going over 36, and then having won the bidding, over whether to commit to Grand or play Clubs Hand Schneider.

Unfortunately I don't remember how I played it. I didn't discard CA C10, I suspect I put away C10 S8, but I'm not sure, and I can't remember anything about how the play went. Sorry.
Mike Tobias

Postby nswedd » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:34 pm

I think I discarded cA cT; it's unlikely I'll be winning any tricks with them. Or I may have discarded cT s8. But in retrospect that looks wrong: I can use the cJ to draw a round of trumps in the hope that that lets the cA cash, or I can use it to ruff the first round of spades; but a discard of cT s8 assumes that I can somehow do both.
nswedd

Postby Mike Tobias » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:12 pm

As the cards lie, discarding C10 S8 is almost certain to win.

FH
J|. SH
C. K
S. TK97
H. K8
D. 9

MH
J. D
C.
S. AQ
H. 97
D. TKQ87

HH after discarding C10 S8
J. C
C. ATQ987
S.
H. ATQ
D. A

The contract wins if the following tricks make
Either CJ (6pts) CA (21, MH has no trump left)HA HT (49) DA (60) + 10 in Skat.
Or Trump SA (13) HA HT (41) DA (52) +10 in Skat.

The lead of a H, D or J wins by the 1st method, as does the CK lead if not trumped by MH.
A Spade lead wins by 2nd method (discard HQ if SA not played on 1st trick)

I think the only defence is for FH to lead CK and MH to trump it and not return Spades.
Mike Tobias

Return to Skat strategy and tactics