[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
British Skat Association • View topic - Is it bad to have seven trumps?

Is it bad to have seven trumps?

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

Is it bad to have seven trumps?

Postby nswedd » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:49 am

nswedd

Re: Is it bad to have seven trumps?

Postby John McLeod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:13 pm

John McLeod

Postby Mike Tobias » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Strange, my earlier reply has disappeared.

I would definitely play Spades, the Clubs TKQ7 is an excellent side suit, winning three tricks including the ten

I had a hand last night where I chose six trumps over seven for similar reasons.
Mike Tobias

Postby Patrick Phair » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't remember my thinking on Nick's hand, though I do remember that almost all my six-trump holdings on Saturday met 4-1 breaks.

An interesting further point about this hand: if you are playing in spades and a diamond is led, presumably you ruff. But with what?

Patrick
Patrick Phair

Postby John McLeod » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 pm

I think I would ruff with the 10 of trumps, draw 2 rounds of trumps, and then if the HJ had not fallen I would start leading hearts.
John McLeod

Postby Patrick Phair » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 pm

OK -- that's probably right.

How about if the heart suit were solid?

Patrick
Patrick Phair

Postby John McLeod » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 am

You mean something like J:CSD, C:--, S:T97, H:ATK7, D:-- with DT and SQ in the skat? In that case I would play Grand and ruff a diamond lead with SJ.
John McLeod

Postby Patrick Phair » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 am

OK, that looks reasonable. Suppose the discards are D9 and C9, making the Grand less attractive.

Patrick
Patrick Phair

Postby John McLeod » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:11 am

I think I would still play Grand. Barring the possibility of a heart lead ruffed by HH on trick 1, my only losers are the three spades. I lose 28 points in spades so the other opponent will need to throw at least 32 points on these three tricks to defeat me.
Grand is safer than hearts, where I might well additionally lose a trick to the HJ. The spade contract is pretty safe. In this case I will trump an opening diamond lead with S7, lead my top trumps, and then if the HJ has not appeared I will run my hearts from the top. I could lose if the trumps are 5-0, but not if they are 4-1. My feeling is that Grand is still the most profitable contract, but I have not tried to calculate the probabilities.
John McLeod

Postby Mike Tobias » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Mike Tobias

Next

Return to Skat strategy and tactics