Session 4 -- missed chance

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

Session 4 -- missed chance

Postby Patrick Phair » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:47 am

I have now sent out the hand records for last Sunday.

Beth and I missed an opportunity on hand 14 of session 4. As Vorhand we held

J: CS
C: AT9
S: T
H: ATK
D: 9

Possibly because of the singleton ten we both exchanged, and we both made Grand with schneider for no swing. It was only while writing the hand up that I saw that Grand hand is 100% safe.

Given that it is almost certainly right to play Grand hand, but is it always right on such hands? With the singleton ten schneider is unlikely, but with an exchange schwarz becomes a possibility.

Patrick
Patrick Phair

Re: Session 4 -- missed chance

Postby Mike Tobias » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:06 pm

I think it's a coin toss: Grand Hand is certain with an unlikely schneider, picking up gives an almost guaranteed schneider and a possible schwartz.
Mike Tobias

Postby Mike Tobias » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I had a similar decision last night. As Vorhand, held:

J. C S H D
C. K
S. A 9
H T
D A T or very similar

Grand Hand probable, but not certain, so picked up. ST,HQ in Skat. I considered keeping HT as a singleton and going for Schwartz, but I think my opponents would have kept the Ace and another big one, so discarded HT, CK and settled for probable Schneider, which duly made.
Mike Tobias

Postby John McLeod » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:02 pm

In hand 4/14, the Skat contains c8, dK. What will you discard? For the best chance of Schwarz I think discarding the two diamonds is best, and as the cards lie you will make Schneider anyway, even if HH makes the right guess of which Ace to keep. Or you could discard sT and d9 guaranteeing Schneider and making Schwarz on this deal if HH keeps the sA since it happens that HH also has both the big diamonds.
John McLeod

Return to Skat strategy and tactics