July 6 session 4 hand 12

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.
Patrick Phair

July 6 session 4 hand 12

Post by Patrick Phair » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:01 am

This is the last hand I played in today's tournament, and I think I got it wrong.

I was Hinterhand and held

J: C
C: Q
S: A
H: AT9
D: AK87

I was pushed to 27 (would you give up sooner?). Probably best at this stage is Diamonds hand, but I optimistically picked up the skat and found S9, DT. What would you do now?

Patrick

Mike Tobias

Re: July 6 session 4 hand 12

Post by Mike Tobias » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Of course, I know what actually happened, but:

1. I definitely wouldn't have given up sooner, I think it's strong enough to play Diamonds Hand.

2. I'd have played Diamonds Hand up to 27.

3. I think I'd have bid on to Grand if necessary, because it has a chance even without anything special in the Skat: if all four big ones carry, you get 53pts, put the K and Q in the Skat and CJ sees you home.

4. With DT and S9 in the Skat, the choice is Grand or attempt Schneider in Diamonds. I usually go for the Grand, and it does look better than before the pick-up.

5. I think I'd discard DA,DT, rather than CQ,DT: again if the three big ones carry, it makes, and there's the fallback of DK carrying for 7pts and/or trumping the second round of Clubs.

I'd like to know what happened at the other table

John McLeod

Re: July 6 session 4 hand 12

Post by John McLeod » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:58 pm

In Grand I would definitely discard AT of diamonds. A 3-2 heart split is more likely than a 1-1 diamond split. [Edit: this is nonsense. A 1-1 diamond split is slightly more likely than a 2-2 heart split, so I ought to discard both red aces.] Since I had left before then, I don't know whether it works.
I think I would have bid to 27. Whether I play damonds hand or grand depends on who the opponents are and (as it's the last hand) how well I think I have done on the session so far.