Jan 4th session 1 board 13

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.
John McLeod

Jan 4th session 1 board 13

Post by John McLeod » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Let's discuss session 1 board 13. I'm starting a new thread for this since I find it confusing to follow discussions of several different hands mixed together in a single thread.
MH wins the bidding at 18 or 20 and after picking up the skat holds:

Code: Select all

J: S H D
C: Q 8
S: Q 8 7
H: A K
D: 10 K
Patrick, Alan and I played spades. Alan and I won it and Patrick lost.
The first problem is what to discard. I threw my two clubs, on the grounds that I would then probably lose only three tricks. In fact I lost four tricks because the trumps are 4-1 but I still made the contract. It didn't require any particularly subtle play. So far as I remember, I trumped the opening club lead, drew trumps and then played diamonds. As the cards lie it is possible but not at all easy for the opponents to defeat the contract. I wonder what happened at the other tables, particularly the one where Patrick was defeated by Alban and Daniela.

Patrick Phair

Re: Jan 4th session 1 board 13

Post by Patrick Phair » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 pm

I'm afraid I don't remember what happened, particularly since the hand is so similar to board 9. (Both feature a 4-1 break in spades and an AK holding in hearts.)

I remember taking a disastrous finesse in hearts, but I suspect that was on board 9. Possibly I discarded diamonds, after which it appears that the 4-1 break is enough to defeat the bid.

Patrick