[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
British Skat Association • View topic - Strong but dangerous cards in Vorhand

Strong but dangerous cards in Vorhand

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

Strong but dangerous cards in Vorhand

Postby John McLeod » Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm

You are Vorhand, both opponents pass, and after picking up the skat you hold:
J: C S H
C: 10 K
S: A K Q
H: 10
D: 10 K Q
What will you discard, what contract will you play, and what is your plan for the first few tricks?

In yesterday's tournament I played Grand and lost. At the other three tables two people played Grand and won and one played diamonds and lost. I'm not sure whether Grand can be won as the cards lie against best defence - I will analyse it and post the result when I get Patrick's write-up of the deals - but I think I could have improved my chances significantly by taking more care over my discard and play.
John McLeod

Re: Strong but dangerous cards in Vorhand

Postby nswedd » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 am

This is my second attempt to post a reply. I don't know what happened to my first
attempt, several days ago.

I discard the HT and the SK. I lead one of the Unders, then the DT.

Nick
nswedd

Postby John McLeod » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

John McLeod

Postby Mike Tobias » Thu May 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Even now, I would discard as you did, and not the DT. I think keeping the three consecutive cards and discarding one of a doubleton is in general a better policy.

It's a strong hand: seven guaranteed tricks and three big ones assured will normally win comfortably, even with the loss of the DT. There's a case for the DT lead and establishing the suit before drawing trumps, because the defence get a discard with a trump lead, and that will be a singleton if possible, but that in turn leaves you vulnerable to losing a fourth trick by trumping.
Mike Tobias

Postby John McLeod » Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm

The reasons why I now prefer to keep 2 diamonds and 2 clubs are
(a) if diamonds are 3-1 and I lead the king and queen, the opponents might let me make both tricks, vainly waiting for the 10.
(b) if my left-hand opponent wins with the ace of diamonds, there is a possibility of a club return, allowing me to win with the 10. If I have discarded the CT I don't get that chance.
John McLeod

Postby Mike Tobias » Thu May 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Doesn't it apply equally if you discard the Club and lead KC? They may let it win (8th trick, game guaranteed), or else return DA, giving you two winners in Diamonds.
Mike Tobias

Postby John McLeod » Fri May 31, 2013 12:27 am

Yes, I think with my discard, the CK is a better lead than a diamond or a trump. Maybe there is not much to choose between the two discards.
John McLeod

Return to Skat strategy and tactics