A hand from February

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

A hand from February

Postby nswedd » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Here is a hand from our Young Chelsea event in February (it was hand 15 of session 1).

You are forehand. The other two players pass. You pick up the Skat, and then hold

J CSHD
C K97
S A98
H
D Q8

You discard (I assume) the diamonds. But what do you choose as trumps? I believe
that on the day, I got this wrong.

Nick
nswedd

Re: A hand from February

Postby Mike Tobias » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Without looking at the other hands:

Clubs, unloseable, 8 guaranteed tricks, excellent chance of schneider.

Spades, with 5, but only 7 guaranteed tricks, less chance of schneider and could go off with a 4-0 split in clubs.

Definitely Clubs in preference to Spades, but I'd be sorely tempted by Grand, which, although having a greater chance of going off than Spades, at least has a worthwhile pts reward.

On balance, Clubs, and be prepared to kick myself when every other table makes Grand.
Mike Tobias

Postby Patrick Phair » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29 pm

I also would go in clubs on this hand. (I was actually in a different seat when it came up.)

When writing up the hand I noticed the surprising five-point difference for spades over clubs (both made Schneider). I then wondered if it was ever appropriate to be with 5 -- most of the time one will either make a different suit trumps (as here) or play in Grand.

Patrick
Patrick Phair

Postby nswedd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm

I thought Grand too risky, and chose clubs.

In either clubs or spades, you are most unlikely to go off, or to make Schwarz. Clubs gives you a better chance of Schneider, whereas spades gives you the certainty of an extra multiplier. I failed to consider the extra multiplier when I chose clubs.
nswedd

Return to Skat strategy and tactics