How high would you bid? #2

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

How high would you bid? #2

Postby Mike Tobias » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am

YMCA on Oct 10th. 4 players, 3 of us neck, neck and neck after 24 of 32 hands. I'm Vorhand in #25 and hold:

J CH
S 7
C K9
H 9(orQ)
D AT87

Middlehand's (a contender) bid of 18 is obviously equalled, but would you bid higher?

I decided to bid to 24 figuring a club gives me a shot at Clubs, and a Diamond or an Ace would probably give me Grand if the Jacks split. In the event MH passed at 24, and I picked up C7 and DQ for an unloseable Null Ouvert.

Justified or too risky?
Mike Tobias

Re: How high would you bid? #2

Postby John McLeod » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Playing for money it's too risky for me to go beyond 18. The chance of picking up small spades and hearts is too great.

But if you're near the end of the session and are just playing for a prize for coming first, you don't care so much about how much you lose if you fail. If Middlehand bids 20, 22, 23 with confidence it's probably right to say yes, because your hand is not good for defence against hearts or spades. Maybe you pass 24 because if Middlehand's only game is clubs, your chance of finding clubs in the skat is reduced, and you have a high expectation of defeating the contract, knocking out one contender. What I'm not sure about is whether hand 25 is near enough to the end of the series to justify this tactic. You are only going to be playing in 5 more hands after this (and sitting out 2) so maybe it is.
John McLeod

Re: How high would you bid? #2

Postby Mike Tobias » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Oops, missed out a singleton S7 (now corrected)

I made the decision partly based on the position of the game, (we'd just that minute had a discussion about playing safe or not), but I wondered afterwards whether it was a good move whatever the state of play. Probably not, without more side support for clubs.

The talk of playing for money puts it into perspective as well :o)
Mike Tobias

Return to Skat strategy and tactics