Session 3 last Sunday

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

Session 3 last Sunday

Postby Patrick Phair » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:54 pm

I have now written up session 3 in which I was surprised to lose to Mike by six points despite not going off. It turns out that the result arose from just three hands: on five of the others we both declared for the same score and on the other seven we both defended against making contracts (not always the same).

The swings were:
Code: Select all
   V      M      H      S
J: H      D      CS     -
C: 8      K      ATQ97  -
S: T8     AKQ7   8      -
H: T9     AT9    8      7
D: ATK8   7      9      Q

We were Mittelhand. I stopped at 22, letting Beth play in clubs as Hinterhand for 36, while Mike held 36 and went off in spades for -88.

V      M      H      S
J: S      CD     -      H
C: A7     TK     98     Q
S: -      Q97    ATK8   -
H: TKQ9   -      A87    -
D: TQ9    AK7    8      -

We were Vorhand. Mike won the bidding at 18 and made +20 in hearts, but Beth bid 20 as Mittelhand and I passed (I could have held 20 but I would then have passed 22).

V      M      H      S
J: H      S      CD     -
C: Q8     AK97   T      -
S: TQ7    K8     A      9
H: KQ     -      AT98   7
D: T8     AK9    Q7     -

We were Mittelhand. Mike won the bidding at 20 and made +24 in clubs, but Beth bid 24 as Hinterhand and played hearts hand.
Patrick Phair

Re: Session 3 last Sunday

Postby Mike Tobias » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:02 pm

An example of why synchron doesn't necessarily even things out: you were arguably beaten by Beth rather than by me.

A brave Hearts Hand by Beth on the last hand; I don't know if I'd have bid 24, but if I had, I think I'd have picked up, and gone for Grand
Mike Tobias

Return to Skat strategy and tactics