Aggressive bidding pays

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

Aggressive bidding pays

Postby John McLeod » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:02 pm

At Oxford I lost sessions 3 and 4 to Nick Wedd, playing in the same seat at the other table. The reason seems to be that my bidding was overall more cautious. What would you do with the following hands?

(3/1) Vorhand: J:C H, C10, S:A Q, H:K 8, D:K 9 7. I passed when M bid 18. Nick played 18 (quite likely M passed - he doesn't really have a bid), found the DA and made.
(3/7) Mittelhand. J:C S, C:K 9, S:8 7, H:Q 7, D: A 9. I passed and would do so again, but Nick bid 18 and made a club contract (CA and D10 in the skat).
(3/15) Mittelhand. J:S, C:A K 9, S:-, H:10 Q, D:A K 9 8. I overcautiously passed, fearing small spades in the skat. Nick bid 18 and found a jack and a ten and made schneider in diamonds.
(4/11) Mittelhand: J:S H, C:7, S:Q, H:A Q 9 8, D:Q 7. I passed, having nothing outside hearts. Nick bid 18, picked up CQ, C8 which looks pretty unpromising, but somehow managed to win a heart game.
(4/21) Vorhand: J:C S, C:9 8 7, S:10 K 8, H:-, D:K Q. I passed when M bid 18. Nick played 18 (maybe M passed?), found two diamonds and made.

It wasn't all one way. Nick lost a few marginal games, and there were some he didn't bid, but on balance he came out ahead.

(3/22) Hinterhand. J:D, C:K, S:A K, H:10 K 9 7, D:K 9. I passed, but Nick bid to 22 and had to give up a Null on finding SJ in the skat.
(3/23) Mittelhand. J:S H, C:7, S:A 10 9 7, H:9 7, D:A. Nick stopped at 23, but having only one danger card to get rid of I bid on and bought the contract for 27, planning to try a grand if I didn't get the cards for my null ouvert. The skat was CQ, H10 so the null ouvert was in fact safe.
(4/5) Vorhand. J:C, C:A 10 7, S:Q 7, H:10 9, D:9 7. I passed H's bid of 18. Nick played (maybe H passed) but found SK, DQ and lost.
(4/10) Vorhand. J:C H, C:Q 9, S:10 K 8, H:A Q, D:Q. I passed M's 18. Nick played (maybe M didn't bid, though his hand looks quite good) and lost, even though he found a spade and a heart in the skat.

Maybe this is all just luck, but I think I will try bidding slightly more of the marginal hands next time I go to Oxford.
John McLeod

Re: Aggressive bidding pays

Postby Mike Tobias » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:39 pm

John McLeod wrote:(3/1) Vorhand: J:C H, C10, S:A Q, H:K 8, D:K 9 7. I passed when M bid 18. Nick played 18 (quite likely M passed - he doesn't really have a bid), found the DA and made.

I'd have bid 18

(3/7) Mittelhand. J:C S, C:K 9, S:8 7, H:Q 7, D: A 9. I passed and would do so again, but Nick bid 18 and made a club contract (CA and D10 in the skat).

Almost certainly pass; maybe 18 if feeling adventurous

(3/15) Mittelhand. J:S, C:A K 9, S:-, H:10 Q, D:A K 9 8. I overcautiously passed, fearing small spades in the skat. Nick bid 18 and found a jack and a ten and made schneider in diamonds.

Definite 18.

(4/11) Mittelhand: J:S H, C:7, S:Q, H:A Q 9 8, D:Q 7. I passed, having nothing outside hearts. Nick bid 18, picked up CQ, C8 which looks pretty unpromising, but somehow managed to win a heart game,

Definite 20. I rarely pass with a six card suit, even though this one risks a 7 trumper plus nothing, or a 6 2 2 2 split.

(4/21) Vorhand: J:C S, C:9 8 7, S:10 K 8, H:-, D:K Q. I passed when M bid 18. Nick played 18 (maybe M passed?), found two diamonds and made,

Almost certainly pass; again, maybe 18 if feeling adventurous

It wasn't all one way. Nick lost a few marginal games, and there were some he didn't bid, but on balance he came out ahead.

(3/22) Hinterhand. J:D, C:K, S:A K, H:10 K 9 7, D:K 9. I passed, but Nick bid to 22 and had to give up a Null on finding SJ in the skat.

Unlikely to bid beyond 20, maybe just 18 or pass.

(3/23) Mittelhand. J:S H, C:7, S:A 10 9 7, H:9 7, D:A. Nick stopped at 23, but having only one danger card to get rid of I bid on and bought the contract for 27, planning to try a grand if I didn't get the cards for my null ouvert. The skat was CQ, H10 so the null ouvert was in fact safe.

The most clear cut one of all: definitely 46. One to get rid of, any one of 9 cards wins, 3 more make it very likely, and that's without the back up possibility of Grand.

(4/5) Vorhand. J:C, C:A 10 7, S:Q 7, H:10 9, D:9 7. I passed H's bid of 18. Nick played (maybe H passed) but found SK, DQ and lost.

Again, almost certainly pass; but 18 if feeling adventurous

(4/10) Vorhand. J:C H, C:Q 9, S:10 K 8, H:A Q, D:Q. I passed M's 18. Nick played (maybe M didn't bid, though his hand looks quite good) and lost, even though he found a spade and a heart in the skat.

I think I'd have bid 20, but not 22.

Maybe this is all just luck, but I think I will try bidding slightly more of the marginal hands next time I go to Oxford.
Mike Tobias

Return to Skat strategy and tactics