20 May, session 2 deal 4

Discussion of hands from past BSkA tournaments (or other events) and how they were bid and played. Skat problems. General discussion of strategy and tactics.

20 May, session 2 deal 4

Postby Patrick Phair » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:19 pm

On deal 4 of the second session on May 20 I picked up this hand as Vorhand:

J: --
C: --
S: A 10 Q 9 7
H: A 10
D: A Q 8

I won the bidding against Mittelhand at 36. I picked up the skat which contained HQ and D10. I decided on Grand against 4 and discarded SA and DA. All four of the other ten-cards held so the contract made for +120. Only at the end of the hand did I realise that I could have played Clubs for +144 with roughly the same chance of success.

Mike at the other table was pushed to 46 by Hinterhand. He also picked up the skat but then played in Spades scoring +55.

What would other players do? How good are any of these contracts?

Patrick
Patrick Phair

Re: 20 May, session 2 deal 4

Postby Mike Tobias » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I decided the Grand was too risky, with the spades needing to split 1-1 and the hearts 2-2. I confess I didn't see the possibility of clubs without 11 at all, or I think I would have played it for the glory.
Mike Tobias

Re: 20 May, session 2 deal 4

Postby John McLeod » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:23 am

In grand or clubs, if the spades split 1-1 you catch the king, which takes you to 57. So even if the hearts split 3-1 you're OK if you catch one of the red kings. But I agree with Mike that both grand and clubs are too risky if you are trying to make a profit: they are justified only if you are going for some special prize, or if you are in a situation where you need a big score, and a small profit is not much better for you than a large loss.
John McLeod

Return to Skat strategy and tactics