Some sliding block puzzles
This page lists all the sliding block puzzles listed in Sliding Piece Puzzles
by L.E.Hordern (OUP, 1986) which use
It does not give their solutions, though the book does.
- a 4×5 containing "box"
- one 2×2 block
- no more than six 2×1 blocks
- no more than six 1×1 blocks
For each puzzle, it lists
- The "name" of the puzzle, i.e. its identifier as in Hordern's book, such as "C27d"
- Hordern's difficulty rating, indicated by a number of asterisks:
- *: easy; warm-up exercise;
- **: standard;
- ***: tricky;
- ****: difficult;
- (*****: exceptionally difficult)
- (******: the ultimate challenge.)
- the number of moves needed to solve it, counting any move of a single block as one move
- the number of moves needed to solve it, counting any move in a straight line of a single block as one move
- the initial state of the puzzle
- the completed state of the puzzle — all the blocks shown must be as shown, the others may be anywhere
This page is hosted at weddslist.com.